In any presentation, short or long, you need a memorable opening!
Key Components of an Opener:
• Attention-getting statement
• Key points highlighting the topics, what main ideas you will be discussing
• Benefits to the audience – WIIFM – what/how they will gain
• Appropriate words and gestures
3 OBJECTIVES OF AN OPENER:
1. Sell your audience on listening to your presentation.
2. Introduce the subject of your presentation.
3. Establish credibility with your audience.
5 Deadly Sins of Openers:
2. Too long or too slow
3. Obvious Observation
4. Trite Question
5. Story not related to your topic
– Sheryl Roush, Speaker, Speaking Coach
Sparkle Presentations, Inc.